Grimesthorpe 17th May 1848
On 17 May 1848, the Sheffield and Rotherham Licensed Victuallers Association commenced building at (Grimesthorpe between Rotherham and Sheffield City Centre), what they described as an asylum for poor and distressed members of that society. The building was completed in 1850 on 17 May that year the first Occupants took up their residence. The building was said to be set in pleasant green fields and woodlands. It would appear this tranquillity would not last long due to the heavy industry moving into the area soon afterwards.
Over 170 Years Later
Courtesy of Apple Maps this is the original location over 170 years later.
The area was originally heavily industrialised, but no trace of those iron & steel factories that made Sheffield wealthy and world famous remain, and the green fields and pleasant woodland have also disappeared
1877 Move To Dore
The foundation stone was laid on 6 June 1877 by the Rt Honourable Lord Edward Cavendish (not the Dule of Devonshire) on a building designed by J. B. Mitchell. The cost of the building which included twelve cottages and a reading room/library was £5,700. This did not include the cost of the the land & boundary walls.
The Grand Opening – 24th July 1879
The building was opened in a very grand manner by James Arthur Roebuck, a lawyer & Member of Parliament for Sheffield on 24 July 1879. A reception was held in a large marquee at the rear of the premises. Many distinguished guests attended and the speeches were long and numerous. The occasion was such that it merited four columns in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph the following morning.
For context, this was at the time that Great Britain was engaged in the ZULU Wars in South Africa and in this very edition there was a graphic description of the Battle at ULUNDI
Memorial to Thomas Wiley Alderman & Wine Merchant
In the grounds of the Masonic Hall and visible from Abbeydale Road, stands the Monument which was removed from the old Institution at Grimesthorpe to its present day site on the completion of these buildings in 1879
THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED TO THE MEMORY OF THE LATE ALDERMAN THOMAS WILEY, BY VOLUNTARY SUBSCRIPTIONS OF THE MEMBERS AND FRIENDS OF THE SHEFFIELD AND ROTHERHAM LICENSED VICTUALLERS ASSOCIATION, TO RECORD THEIR RESPECT AND ESTEEM FOR HIS MUNIFICENT DONATIONS TO THEIR ASYLUM, AND BY HIS SPIRITED EXAMPLE CAUSING A NUMBER OF LIBERAL AND BENEVOLENT GENTLEMEN TO SUBSCRIBE SUFFICIENT FUNDS TO ERECT THE ADJACENT BUILDINGS.
ANNO DOMINE 1853
Thomas Wiley was a noted Wine, Spirit & Liqueur Merchnant located on the Old Haymarket, Sheffield
Stone carvings featuring the coat of arms of Sheffield city and country borough of Rotherham
As an indellible commemoration stone carvings featuring the Coat of Arms of Sheffield City & the County Borough of Roherham decorate the cornace above of the main Porchway or Entrance to the original Library building
WW1 Auxilary Hospital Class A – 1914 to 1919
At the outbreak of the First World War, the British Red Cross and the Order of St John of Jerusalem combined to form the Joint War Committee. They pooled their resources under the protection of the red cross emblem. As the Red Cross had secured buildings, equipment and staff, the organisation was able to set up temporary hospitals as soon as wounded men began to arrive from abroad..
Auxiliary hospitals were attached to central Military Hospitals – Woodland View became an annexe to the Miltary Hospital in Dore,
The patients at these hospitals were generally less seriously wounded than at other hospitals and they needed to convalesce. The servicemen preferred the auxiliary hospitals to military hospitals because they were not so strict, they were less crowded and the surroundings were more homely.
Dore Masonic Hall 1940’s & 50s
From the date of the consecration of Chantrey Lodge 2355, on 30 July 1890 by the Right Worshipful Brother HC Okeover, DPG Master, PJGW until 1926 the Lodge Room and one cottage was rented from the Licensed Victuallers Benevolent Trust.
During the intervening years such progress was made that extensions & improvements were necessary and it was during the late 1940s that serious thought was given to purchasing the buildings as we know as the Dore Masonic Hall.
On the 25 August 1951 the Dore Masonic Hall Company Ltd., was incorporated and the buildings purchased accordingly.
The members of the Council of the Dore Masonic Hall Co.Ltd., have constantly had under consideration the development of the buildings to cater for the greatly increased needs of the Lodges meeting at Dore.
In the early 1950s development plans were commissioned and submitted to the DMH Council who found them suitable and within budget, but when submitted for approval to the Local Authority it was refused on the grounds that the proposal used badly needed housing accommodation.
At the next meeting of the DMH Council a contemporary type of building was brought to their attention and after due consideration of design, stability of the structure and speed of erection the Council decided to adopt this type of building.
Preliminary plans were produced and it was agreed that the scheme would be carried out in THREE stages.
Stage 1- Pink portion of the plan, and which includes the Banquet Hall, Kitchen, Bar, Toilet and corridor leading to the original building
Stage 2- Blue portion of the plan, included an additional Lodge Room & facilities
Stage 3- Alterations & additions to the present buildings
In 1958 Stage 1 was completed with the building of the present banqueting Hall.
Stage 2 whilst considered was never completed.
Stage 3 has been permanently on-going
Sir Francis Leggatt Chantrey
The most outstanding sculptor of his generation, Chantrey executed portrait busts, public monuments and memorials. Chantrey had little formal training. He was born of a poor family in NORTON Sheffield and only established himself in fashionable society in 1809 when he married into money and set up a studio in London. In 1811, the exhibition of his bust of the radical John Horne Tooke made his name.
Chantrey’s most notable works include the statues of King George IV (Trafalgar Square); King George III (Guildhall), and George Washington (Massachusetts State House) He left a fortune to the National Gallery for the promotion of contemporary British art.
Where are these to be found?
Our Meeting Room has an ATTRIBUTED MANTLE CLOCK. This Authentic piece of work, done by Sir Francis Chantrey when a boy. It was Presented to Chantrey Lodge No.2355 by WorBro.Douglas B.Taylor P.M.
Sir Francis Chantrey was a truly operative Mason who was intiated into the Lodge of Union (Pre Union Times), now Lodge 116 on the Register of the UGLE on 5 April 1813. He became a joining member of Somerset House & Inverness Lodge on 20 December 1813. According to Grand Lodge payments were made in the name of Francis L Chantrey until 1818.
Sir Francis Leggatt Chantrey RA – FRS
He died in 1841 and is buried in Norton Church Yard
Over the years his Monument fell into disrepair but was recently refurbished by English Heritage at great expense.
The restoration was so precise that they even found minute flakes of the original paint, and recreated the colour to restore it to its former glory.